7.13.2009

homeward bound...sort of

My husband L. and I just got back from the Carolinas, where he had shows on Friday and Saturday night. The Saturday night show was in Charleston, the ancestral home of my dad's side of the family. I'm really interested in my genealogy and have traced my lineage back to the 1600s to England on my dad's side and to Germany on my mom's side. From census records I was able to get the addresses of my grandmother, great-grandparents, great-great grandparents, and great-great-great grandparents homes, and also that of the shipyard my family once owned. It was so exhilarating walking the streets of Charleston, knowing that my ancestors once walked the same streets. I can't tell you how excited I was getting to see the actual buildings in which they lived.


My great-grandmother Christiana Mary Pregnall's (Sheppard) childhood home.

While in Charleston I went to visit Knit, a well-stocked yarn shop on Wentworth St. They had a huge collection of yarn, including some local handspun. They also had the largest collection of buttons I've ever seen in a knit shop.  Best of all they were having a sale. If you're ever in Charleston I highly recommend checking it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
1 09 10