5.10.2011

El Dia de las Madres (Mother's Day) Guatemala Edition

Today is Mother’s Day in Guatemala. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate women who are known to get very few hours of sleep than to wake them (and presumably the baby they just put back down after a 3am feeding) by blasting mariachi music and setting off fireworks at 4:15 am. And in case the first loop around town didn’t do it, the “welcoming committee” circled the town until 6:30 am setting off fireworks constantly while additionally blasting music over the loud speaker attached to their pickup truck.


Maybe it’s a cultural thing, but sounding like I’m in a war zone doesn’t start a celebration on the right foot for me. I’m pretty sure that on any given morning somewhere in town fireworks are going off, you see they aren’t just used for Mother’s Day, but birthdays, Easter, Christmas, .... And the fireworks they’re using are not the pretty ones that explode into beautiful showers of colors in the sky, no these are the fireworks that are solely used to make noise- Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop, BANG!!!!!!


You’ll have to forgive me for my harsh tone. I’m not too happy about the sleep I missed last night (and the night before that). As I write this, it’s now 9:45, more fireworks are going off. Grrrrrrr.

2 comments:

  1. Do you remember me telling off Lorraine when she was shouting up at us from the street in Spain? We were sound asleep and she was a happy & loud drunk. Ah, happy memories!

    And speaking of Spain, you didn't like the capable-of-maiming street fireworks there either.

    What did your housemother think of the fireworks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spain came to mind this morning. My house mom was trying to sleep too.

    ReplyDelete

 
1 09 10