5.17.2011

Link


My absolute favorite type of knitwear is the cowl. Cowls are so elegant and versatile. They can be dressed up or dressed down. They can be ultra-drapey with lace or more structured with cables. They can be worn any time of the year, whether summer or winter, spring or fall. And draped around your neck they can add a splash of color and texture to your outfit.


When you wear one they usually elicit the response- “Wow, that’s gorgeous- where’d you get it?” And because they aren’t often offered in retail stores, you get to say, "It was handknit by an indie designer"- unless of course you’re a knitter and can say, "I made it."



Last year I discovered Araucania Itata Multi at Webs. I love the combination of colors and the soft loftiness of the wool, silk, and bamboo blend. I bought it in every color I could find and intended on using it to make shawls, but when I brought it with me to Guatemala, the yarn took on a different form - Link, a chunky cabled cowl.


As I looked at my stash of Araucania Itata multi I thought, “If I double up the yarn this would make the most beautiful winter cowl.” I love cables and I knew the ultra chunky knotted cable would look amazing with the variegated yarn. The double cable border is subtle enough to not detract from the main feature- the knots. And set against reverse stockinette stitch, the cables seem to jump off of the cowl (something not seen as well in machine knit apparel).



I hope you love Link as much as I do. You’ll see me wearing mine around town this winter.


Get Link, the pattern - Get Link, handknit by me, an indie designer

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
1 09 10